Monday, March 28, 2011

update on travel assignment

It is now seven weeks into this travel assignment and things have slowed down and are
working out fine.  I have mastered, almost, the new computer charting and learning where everything is in the unit. The nurses I work with are terrific and easy to get along with.  I had heard that travel nurses sometimes hada hard time with resentment from staff nurses but I have not found that here.
They seem pleased to have us, and there are several travel nurses on this unit.  The hardest part is the time it takes me to get to work.  I leave the RV Park at 5 pm and my shift starts at 6:38 pm. I do get there around 6 but if I leave later the traffic is worse and I barely make it on time.  Nelson and I took a day and drove to all the RV parks we could find around the hospital, but in the end decided the amenities here, including being safe and having good neighborhoods around us with lots of restaurants, made the drive worth it. 


We are staying at La Haceinda RV park and it is very nice.  The sites are clean, the bathrooms and
laundry facilities are clean. Now that spring is here they are planting more trees and flowers.  They have events in the pavilion on some nights so people can get to know others in the park.  I think my all-time favorite is the hot tub.  The only downside to the hot tub is that it is only hot from 5 to 10 pm.  We have cable here also.  One night we took the TV outside and had some new friends over and watched a movie outside.  It’s like being on vacation whenever I am not at work.   

3 comments:

  1. My wife just graduated Nursing School. As soon as she builds up some experience we also would like to travel. We have enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to more updates

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really look forward to more updates. My wife and I will be hitting the road soon and lok for all the insights we can find....thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tips on RV living. I have worked as a labor nurse for 11 years and now just started to work in Pedi ED. As soon as, I am more comfortable in my duties I am planning on doing travel nursing. Not sure which area.
    How do you file taxes when you are working in so many states? What do you do with forwarding mail?

    ReplyDelete