Saturday, February 19, 2011

Family, children turning into adults

Leaving my children and grand-children behind was a very hard thing to do.  As my children grew up, they, one by one, left me.  But I have never left all of them behind at once.  I thought I had it all planned out, plenty of time to see everyone and spend time playing with my grand-children.  But mother nature had other ideas: two major snow storms, me getting sick and Amandoria being stuck at
the hospital for a week.  In the end we planned one night in Tulsa where five of my children and their families could all get together with me and Nelson. Since it was also almost Amethysts birthday we celebrated that also. 

I loved spending time with my family, loved playing with my grand-children.  There is nothing like walking in a room and seeing those little faces light up with smiles, the rush of Mimi’s from all their
mouths and the race to get to me first. Being oldest Kaylee always wins but Ariah comes in a close second.  Emily always hangs back and when they are done she comes in for her hugs and kisses. She is so soft and cuddly.  Leeanna doesn’t walk yet but I am sure she will join in soon.
Watching the interaction between them as they play together and how they are comfortable with all their aunts and uncles was comforting. Knowing that they are happy and loved by all makes leaving them easier for me.

I didn’t get to spend as much time with Anthony and my mom as I wanted. They both live 120 miles away.  We went there and had lunch with them and spent some time, but not enough.  I also regret that I did not get to see my little Kiera.  But at least Papa got to visit with her.

We have a unique family, one that started almost 16 years ago when Nelson and I said “I do”.  I had 4 children and Nelson had a son.  We did not yet know about his daughter.  Then one day the phone call
came to announce he was the proud father of a 13 year old.  Adding Alyson into our family was an adventure.  There was never a moment when she was not loved and wanted, it just took her a little time to know it. Now she fits as if she has always been with us.  I love my large family and the way it keeps growing and filling love into all the crevices of our lives.
I love knowing that my children, though now all adults, are growing and gaining the knowledge of what it means to truly be a family.  The part that family has played in their lives has changed as they have matured.  They have gone through many phases, from I need everyone, to I need no one, and on
to everyone needs me.  I think most of them are now in the stage of I need some, some need me, and it changes depending on the needs.  In other words, understanding that life really is a combination, not
all one.
As adults, my children have started jobs, spent time in the military, started college, gotten married, gotten divorced, had children, had heartaches and found the love of their lives. I believe that some of them have started to settle into life and have found their niche, while others are still searching for it.  I want to be there to gently guide them on their way, yet let them make their own final decisions and let
them know that it really has to be theirs.  I am hoping that my time away from them will bring them closer to each other. That they will more fully understand the special connection between siblings. 


I miss my family, I love my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment